Lat/Long N50.45.20/W04.01.15....Situated 1.5 miles N of Okehampton
RUNWAYS: Grass .
THe National Aviaton Day Display (Sir Alan Cobham ) visited on Aug 21 1932 Used for summer camps by Army Co-operation Sqdns up to 1939 (Bristol Fighter, Atlas, Audax, Lysander) e.g 13 & 16 Sqdns .
The use by Army Co-op squadrons continued until 1942. In March of that year 73 MU was formed and the airfield became a Forward Holding Unit(active Dec 15 1942)- included an off-airfield storage site.
The US Army briefly used the field during the D-Day preparations.
The airfield closed on 24th July 1945 and the site transferred to 7 & 225 MU. However there was occasional use of the field by AOP Austers until the early 50s.The site was eventually cleared and returned to agriculture.
|1928 -1939(May -Sept||16 & 13 Sqdn. (Det)||Audax, Lysander,Atlas , Bristol Fighter.||Artillery Range support|
|Summer 1940||225 Sqdn. (Det)||.||Lysander II|
|3 Aug 1940||16 Sqdn.||15 Aug 1940||Lysander 1/II|
|4 June 1941||16 Sqdn.||6 June 1941||Lysander III/IIIA|
|9 Sept 1941||16 Sqdn.||11 Sept 1941||Lysander III/IIIA||Occasional other Detatchments till Spring 1942.|
|November 1940||225 Sqdn.||Lysander 1||Artillery Observation training|
|1944||227Field Artillery Battalion./29FDiv/USARMY.||Piper L-4 Cub||D-Day preparations|